Fashion is something that comes after style.” John Fairchild.
Table of Content
- The importance of style in our daily lives.
- What is style?
- How do you define style?
- How I discovered style.
- How to have a great sense of style?
- What body shape am I?
- Inverted Triangle-What to wear
- Rectangle, straight, or banana – What to wear
- Hourglass – What to wear?
- Triangle or pear – What to wear?
Wouldn’t you love to have a great sense of style but you don’t know where to begin? Overwhelmed? Try not to worry.
We are not born with a sense of style. Sense of style. The good news, we can learn to master style without a lot of difficulties. Read this ultimate guide! It shows how it’s done. How to select clothes and accessories, colors, designs that highlight your figure.
Why is style important in our daily lives?
Women have come so far! Did our style, image, or how we dress help us along the way? Absolutely! And honestly, personal style, image, and first impressions aren’t limited to women. Men are in this game of presenting themselves with style just as much as women are!
What is style?
“What is style? It is the effortless confidence in being yourself; it is a way of putting yourself together according to your mood and what you want to project. Personal style appears to come naturally for some, but for others, it can take a while to find it!” Diane von Furstenberg.
What style can do for you.
“Don’t be into trends. Don’t make fashion own you, but you decide what you are, what you want to express by the way you dress, and the way to live.” — Gianni Versace.
Personal style makes us stand out. We need the confidence it gives us. Style shows the world our unique traits.
Why is style relevant in our daily lives?
How do you feel wearing an outfit that you absolutely love? From experience, I feel like a new woman. I feel...
How I found my style:
I always had to study very hard. For me studying for finals before graduation was such an exhausting time that I forgot to take care of myself. Nothing was more important than graduating with honors.
I lived in a small village in a boarding school with 250 girls.
The village bakery delivered a large basket of fresh rolls every afternoon for us girls. Rolls, salami, coffee prepared with a lot of sugar, and whip cream were my nourishment for several months.As a result, I gained a lot of weight, looked haggard because of loss of sleep, and my face looked several years older. Skincare was the least important. I was exhausted, and it showed, but… I graduated with honors. My mother was shocked and sad about my disheveled look. Because she was an excellent stylist, she came to my rescue. She selected a new wardrobe for my heavier triangle body shape. Mom chose vertical stripes, longer hemlines, nothing cropped, v-neck sweaters, lots and lots of black, etc. A spa visit followed. It worked, I felt like a new person. I felt that I could take the world by storm.
How do we define style?
“Style is knowing who you are, what you want to say, and not giving a damn.” Gore Vidal.
- Style reflects your attitude and your personality
- Style is an expression
- Style is self-branding
- Style is the relationship to your inner self
How to have a great sense of style?
A great way to start your sense of style is by
- Understanding your body shape. There are four body shapes.
- Become an expert observer. Train your eyes to observe stylish women.
- Imitate, imitate, imitate.
- Select your feel-good pieces from your wardrobe.
- Experiment with colors, styles, silhouettes, and designs.
- Go window shopping and pay attention to the store displays.
- Make a list of pieces you have to buy to expand your growing style sense.
- Buy only pieces that pair with your personal style.
- Wear clothes that fit you well and aren’t too tight or overly loose.
- Pick accessories to compliment your outfit.
What body shape am I?
I asked a friend from France why the French women have such an effortless style of chic? She told me it is because French women dress according to their body shape. So, we must know our body shape, developing our personal style.
Style is about aesthetics and balance, consequently, we can’t create balance when we dress with the wrong clothes for our body shape. We need to know which areas of our body to emphasize and which ones to conceal. The eye captures our silhouettes, if we know our body shape, we can attract the eye to our best features.
You might have heard about four body shapes
- Inverted Triangle
- Triangle or Pear
- Rectangle, straight, or banana
Your shoulders or bust are larger than your hips.
What to wear:
- Create vertical lines with vertical stripes
- Wear open necklines and collars, like halter necks, v-necks and scoop necks
- Wear soft feminine textures to soften the shoulder line
- Avoid extra width and wear single breasted tailored jackets
- Wear jackets open to create a vertical line
- Wear jackets that are well structured at the shoulder
- Look for tops that will accentuate the waist, like tops with banding or nipping at the waist or wrap style tops
- Wear tops that accentuate a vertical line, so go for V-necks and keep your shirts unbuttoned
- Also find tops that balance the bust with your hips (if you have a large bust)
- Wear tops just below the hip bone
- Wear a darker color on top
- Wear strapless gowns and tops
- Use belts to define your waist even more
Defined by a larger bottom half than the top half, pear-shaped women carry extra weight around the hip and thigh area.
What to wear
A must: Draw the eye upwards wearing statement tops, which highlight the waist-and neckline. Draw all the attention to your torso away from your hips and thighs. Use Jewellery to embellish collar and lapels.
Wear creative designs such as ruffles, zippers, pockets, pocket hankies ( which are becoming a hot trend in 2020)
Hemlines are very important! Make sure they fall either above or below the widest point of your hips. Most of your wardrobe should be dresses and skirts. Light and shiny fabrics will enhance your body shape, so go for dark and matt fabrics.
A long black boyfriend, blazer, would be the right choice for you. Embellish the lapel with some exceptional jewelry. Wear it with jeans and a button-down shirt, preferably white.
Hourglass: Congratulations, you have the most proportionate and sensual body shape. Your body shape is all about curves. Bust and hip measurements are often the same. Your waist is very well defined. Always think fitted, fitted, fitted. With this in mind, look at Kim Kardashian, Marylin Monroe, Liz Taylor, Sophia Loren, and Brigitte Bardot.
What to wear
Start by wearing the right bra. Look for clothes that have a V-neck, round neck or boat neck. You look best in fitted garments. The wrap skirts and dresses are coming back. Wrap items are an excellent choice for your body shape. Another ideal garment is the plume top. Wide belts are perfect for accentuating your waist.
Avoid wearing embellishments such as pockets, ruffles, and zippers. Bloused garments, short sleeves, light colors, oversized patterns, button-ups, and horizontal stripes.
Wearing above design additions will only add volume to your bust line.
What to wear
With the rectangular body shape, you will have lots of choices to dress. Keep the focus on the upper body. Wear tops like a V-neck sweater, scooped neckline, full collars, halters, and deep necklines.
V neck empire dresses will high-light your upper body and is an ideal option for your body shape.
Choose skinny jeans with a V-neck top. Accentuate your waist with a really cool belt. Even a wide belt would look great.
A new year started and I wish you “A Happy, peaceful, and prosperous 2020.
Maybe you can work on your sense of style. Let us know how you are doing in the comment section. We really would like to know and possibly also give you some pointers.
Be well and save